Sunday, June 10, 2012

K's Elephant Travel Pillow

K likes green. It's her favorite color. And she will walk up to most people and just say "Hi. I like green." K also loves elephants.  We have so many plush and plastic elephants. I have lost count.  With our 15 hour road trip happening, I started looking at all of the kid travel pillows and I found them either too small  or not fluffy enough to actually cradle a kid's head if they fell asleep.  And besides all of that they were animals or colors K didn't like.  I wanted her to be excited to use it.

Since I save everything ( ok not everything but a lot of stuff) I had some left over green fleece from when I made Bunsen and Beaker costumes for Halloween....  four years ago. See, I wasn't kiddin'.

I took a little lamb pillow a friend had a as a reference. It was cute and all but again not fluffy enough.  I made a paper template and then laid that on the fleece and used a silver sharpie to trace it because the pencil I was trying was not showing up.  I also made a template for the ears and the tail and cut them out too. It was



I am a totally sewing novice so I had my mom there to help me and give me  my first sewing class. I have a very heavy sewing foot.  And apparently I should have chosen something other than fleece for my first time on the machine by myself because she had to jump in a help me a few times.

I started by pinning his little ears on and then sewing them to the inside so after we sew the edges we it can be flipped  inside out and it will right.  I then took the tail and sewed it on the inside as well on the edge so it will be with the seam.



 I sewed all of  edges and around his trunk. I left the inside of the middle open to stuff in the fluff.

There's his trunk.

There the hole.

When I was done sewing the edges,  I had to turn him inside out and the only tricky part was his trunk. I used the inside of an pillow that was flat  for the fluff. It worked out great. I didn't know pillow stuffing was green. Did you?


 
When I got the ends both as full as I could get them (for the puffy factor that is sooo important), I then had to take the material and do a whip stitch ( just around and around, my mom had to explain that to me alot) to close him up. And it was kinda hard because even with some pins, you had to squeeze it as you were sewing.




His insides were now stuffed to capacity. I also didn't realize that fleece stretches one way more than another.  You learn something new everyday.  He needed eyes.  I decide to go the  easy route with some black felt.  I  used a quarter to help cut the shapes into half moons and used some clear tacky glue from Micheals to glue them on. It may not be permanent but it will work for now.



There he is and I actually had enough to make to for both the girls. The other one is  how should I put this.... not so pretty.  He won't make it to the blog. He was the first draft. But it worked for S. K loved hers and used it there and back. It worked so well to keep her head up. S wasn't into hers at all.  I think it was the age thing.

Ok....so this was staged but  the nighttime ones are hard to get.
( I finished these two days before we left. Nothing like last minute crafts!)


Monday
What is the Gunny Sack -Making the world Cuter -Debbie Doo -DIY How Off
DIY Shop - Lines Across My Face -I should be mopping the Floor
Great Fun 4 Kids

Tuesday

How to Nest For Less - Tip Junkie - My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia -The Kurtz Corner
Sugar Bee - Romance On A Dime - Chronic Christian Crafter - Funky Polka Dot Giraffe
The Winthrop Chronicles


Wednesday
Oopsey Daisy - Thrifty Home - Someday Crafts - Sew Much Ado
- Junk in Their Trunk  - Southern Lovely


Thursday

My rePurposed Life - Beyond the Picket Fence - Somewhat Simple - Live Laugh Rowe
Loving this Crazy Life -Scrappy Crafty Happy - Fireflies and Jellybeans - The Shabby Cottage
Quality Cheap Home  - The Taylor House
House of Hepworths

Friday

Naptime CraftersStay At Home Nation
Young and CraftyMy Turn(ForUs)
Delicate Construction
Serenity Now
Family Ever After

Saturday



Six Sister's Stuff
Be Different Act Normal


Sunday
Nifty Thrifty Things

51 comments:

  1. Cute, great idea. I also have a green lover in this household!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, thifty. Green is kinda hard to find in some things, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. This is super cute and I am absolutely loving your tutorial. I could follow it on the page and maybe, just maybe, on the machine as well! Thank you very much, Emily. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maxabella. I hope it does come across as easy as it was.

      Delete
  3. THAT is BRILLIANT!
    Clever you
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is getting Pinned! This is the cutest little pillow I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, Alicia D. I feel like it's your rap name. hee hee.

      Delete
  6. first - many thanks for visiting my website today!

    I love the pillow - it's adorable. I just learned to sew this year - I took a sewing class in January - but I don't think I am creative enough to create my own pattern to make something. Kudos to you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and I love your site. I'm always interested in learning more about anything Disney.

      Delete
  7. aww i love this! the ones you buy in the stores (even for adults) are just not fluffy enough! my husband has been stealing our baby's boppy pillow & using it around his neck when he's sitting up in bed watching tv... i will have to try out this tutorial & give the baby his boppy back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzy-SO true. It was even fluffy enough for me since I was the tester. Maybe you can find some kind of manly fabric for your hubby.

      Delete
  8. This is adorable! I need to make one for me! Haha! I’d love for you to share this project on Tuesday’s Tidbits @ Naptime Delights: http://naptimedelights.blogspot.ca/2012/06/tuesdays-tidbits-4.html
    Thanks so much!
    Sarah
    {http://naptimedelights.blogspot.com}

    ReplyDelete
  9. Found you on take it on Tuesdays link party. This is such a cute project I've pinned it to my kids sewing board! :o) Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG!!! I want it!! It looks sooo cozy! Great tutorial!

    Oh and you better be planning on sharing this at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality!!! Please :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww... that's adorable! I love the sleeping elephant eyes - CUTE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shelby. I was kinds up in the air about the eyes but I really liked them.

      Delete
  12. Great tutorial! I want to make one for both of my boys! :o) Really adorable!
    - Hope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hope. If you do , I'd love to see them.

      Delete
  13. That is SOOO adorable and very practical. I love the picture of your daughter using it. She looks so peaceful. Thanks for linking up at Romance on a dime. I'm pinning this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betsy. Yeah, she can look peaceful...sometimes:)

      Delete
  14. I love your elephant travel pillow. Such a cute idea. The pic with your little one sleeping is adorable.

    I know I'm behind, but I wanted to thank you for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and no problem, It was a great post.

      Delete
  15. SOOO cute!! Thanks for linking up with us on "Strut Your Stuff Saturday!" We hope to see you next week! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, that is so cute! I can see that your little princess is quite enamoured with her new pillow!

    Thanks so much for your sweet comment at my Christmas blog-you really made my day! I'm following you now too and look forward to reading your blog.

    I also wanted to invite you my other blog, Natasha in Oz. I host a weekly link up over there each Saturday and I would be thrilled if you could join in one weekend!

    Well, hope your week has been fabulous. See you again soon!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natasha. She does love the pillow. I'd love to stop by and link up. I hope you week is good as well all the way down under.

      Delete
  17. This is really cute and functional as well I need to make one of these for my little one soon before we start school...

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so cute! I made my little boy a neck pillow a couple of years ago, but I think I might need to make a couple more--who wouldn't rather have an elephant to cuddle instead of a plain pillow?! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristy. I know, right? I would probably make myself a horse one if I had to choose and animal.

      Delete
  19. Oh what a talented little girl you are! That elephant is just adorable. I used to worry about the kids getting a kink in their necks when they feel asleep in the car but we didn't have travel pillows back then. I so wished I sewed better, I just might try to make this for my grandkids. Thank you for sharing at Freedom Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Evelyn. But if I can sew this...anybody can. I'm really not super good at it. You can do it!!

      Delete
  20. This is a great tutorial and perfect for Summer travel! I'd love to invite you to join us on Saturday Show & Tell at Cheerios and Lattes! I know my readers would love this idea too!
    Have a great weekend!
    Mackenzie :)
    http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com/saturday-show-tell-15/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mackenzie. I'd love to. See you there.

      Delete
    2. So cool! Thanks for sharing this great post on Saturday Show & Tell @ Cheerios and Lattes last week! :) Hope to see you again this weekend! :)
      Mackenzie

      Delete
  21. That is so adorable. I think every kid needs one of these. Thanks so much for sharing at Toot Your Horn Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE this Emily...I'm featuring this from the Toot Your Horn Party from last week...just adorable! I wish I knew how to sew better, but the tutorial is great! Your little one is lucky! Thanks for linking up and sharing with us! And, congrats for the feature! Would love for you to come grab your button...and, can't wait to see what you link up with us again!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Erin. I'm so honored. It really is alot easier than you think. I'm not s great sewer yet so if I can do it you can do it. Thanks again.

      Delete
  23. Oh guess whose pillow was featured at Freedom Fridays this week? Lol See you there:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL... you're so funny. Thanks you so much Evelyn. I grabbed my button and shared this week too. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  24. We're planning a little road trip in about a month, so I think I need to make one of these. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. Thanks. I hope it works out for you. I'd love to see a picture when you finish.

      Delete
  25. One good thing that you need to know is that you can lessen the tiredness that you may feel as you travel. You can actually sleep and relax while traveling. One thing that you will need for sure is a pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The kids will love this elephant travel pillow. Truly worth buying

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day. I love responding to them. Please make sure you have your setting so that you see my reply. I always reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...