Monday, October 22, 2012

9 Couples Costume Ideas over the years


Ever since my hubby and I met pretty much, give or take a few, we have gotten dressed up for Halloween.  It was alot of fun and we get really into it. Now it's really more fun to dress up my kids because I get these grandiose ideas for myself that I never seem to have time or the sewing talent to pull off.


Let's start at the beginning shall we....

2001- Fred and Daphne from Scooby Doo
scanned photo from my scrapbook- predigital days
  I started for the first time thinking of ideas that a couple could do together.And for some reason, I thought of  Fred and Daphne from Scooby Doo.  Don't ask me why.  J was game to be Fred.  We figures all he needed was:

- Orange scarf
-Ligth blue Jeans ( coutersy of Wlamart)
-Blue shirt
-White sweater

Mine on the other hand was  A little harder but thanks to my mom , she whipped up an old pattern she had from the 60s  or 70s and made me the purple dress, the headband, and J and I the scarves.  I had the shoes and earrings. We both had to go  spray our hair in the parking lot of the costume store on the way there.


2002- Elvis and Priscilla
Pre-Digital.....yucky quality
 J had been joking around that he kinda looked like Elvis...but more of the 70s, a little bit of a belly Elvis. So we went to the local costume store here that rents ,early enough, and rented this beauty of a costume. We also rented the shoes which were white pleather  booties that you can't see which is a shame. We bought the glasses and he grew his sideburns super long for over a month . People were staring to wonder about him and his questionable  facial hair choices.

For me,  I bought the bouffant black wig but the  dress and coat belonged to my mom.  Awesome, right? My pretty silver eye shadow was also da-bomb. We got alot of great compliments that night. If your man can pull off an Elvis,  I say do it.


2003- No Party= No Costume


2004- Trailer park Rednecks ( I think Ashley from "Sorry kids your mom doesn't play well with others"has seen some of these folks as soccer games around here :) )


 Well, I hate to say it but we live very close to a bunch of folks who look and act just like that.  What can I say Saint Louis has an ecceltic group of folks that live all over.

If you are going to be a good redneck  trailer wife around here, you have to have:

-more kids than you can carry...see the one on my leg
-bad hair ( mullet wig)
-missing teeth
- be preggos again ( soft pillow)
-and course be smoking while with all of your kids

J only had to have:
- the mullet ( yep, another awesome wig)
- a NASCAR shirt , of course
- stone washed jeans
- A  big ugly tatoo with my name on it


2005- Hugh Hefner and a Playboy bunny



Now don't get all excited. This was the scariest outfit for me to wear EVER. First off it's freakin cold here  in Saint Louis this time of year and I'm not crazy about showing off  my thighs at all.

We had a heck of a time finding black satin PJs for J to wear. We had to get him some in the bigger ladies section of Target ( shhhhh)  We also bough the smoking jacket and borrowed the pipe.Sprying his black hair white was also quite challenging.

I got to buy another wig, the body suit,  The ears/collar/ wrist things were all together and then the fishnets.  I used some old slutty looking shoes I had. Why did I have them?  It was the late nineties. I think alot of them looked slutty.


2006- The couple from the American Gothic farm picture



I think I kinda pulled this one out of my butt. Why did I want to do this?  Again, who knows. But it looked kinda cool when it was done and it was a "couple" idea.

Again,  my mom sewed me up a plain brown dress with some rick rack on it  and I had the black and white shirts. I put brown eyeliner on my face to make it look like deep wrinkles from a distance.

J had to buy some overalls, some old man glasses, and a wig that we had to cut the hair on the sides and spray it gray.  He used his own blazer, shirt and we borrwed the pitchfork.

2007- Bunsen and Beaker from the Muppets



 You guys know all about them . They were alot of fun and really warm. Check out their post.

2008- Farmer and  a cow



J had a friend at work who told him he had a cow costume.... hey why not.  I got on my overalls, my boots,  borrowed a straw hat and threw on some plaid and J wore the  cow suit with creepy udders.  Don't look too long,  they are disturbing. We even borrowed a little cow costume for K.  There apparently was no picture taken of me . Oh well you get the idea.

2009- Some old time Greek People



Easy Peasy... two twin size white sheets and  some white t-shirts.  I added the gold leaves from Michels or walmart ...I can't remember.  It was the theme that night so that made deciding what to wear very easy. and K was a cutey pa-tutey ladybug

2010- No party= No costume

2011- Kenny Rodgers and Dolly Parton



Where do I come up with this shtuff? They were a singing duo so that was enough for me.  I put on my Playboy bunny wig  and made it look  big hair-ish and borrowed a much bigger bra than mine and stuffed it with pantyhose stuffed with pillow fluff. Yep....that's all fluff..trust me. I got felt up all night  by our friends.  I tried to not be offended  because it really wasn't ME they were grabbing.

Went to Goodwill thrift store to  get J some  plaid and  used the vest from his three piece suit. His hat was mine that was too small but  you got the idea. The beard was actually was very long  but it was the only white beard we could find so we cut it to  semi- normal looking length. K had to get into the picture as well.


2012= ???

I kinda  don;t think we're doing one this year but I'm ok with that because it's so much more fun now to see the kids dress up and take them out.

What are you or your kids going to be for Halloween?

Monday
What is the Gunny Sack -Making the world Cuter -Debbie Doo -DIY Show Off
-I should be mopping the Floor
Great Fun 4 Kids

Tuesday

 Tip Junkie - My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia -The Kurtz Corner
Sugar Bee - Romance On A Dime -The Winthrop Chronicles
Lil Mrs Tori Wednesday
 Someday Crafts - Sew Much Ado
 
-SNAP

Thursday

Beyond the Picket Fence - Somewhat Simple - Live Laugh Rowe
- The Shabby Cottage The Taylor House- House of Hepworths 
Two In Diapers-Mommy Brain Mixer


Friday
Naptime CraftersStay At Home Nation
Young and CraftyMy Turn(ForUs)
Delicate Construction
Serenity Now


Saturday


Six Sister's Stuff
Cheerios and Lattes





19 comments:

  1. I love all of them, but there's still something about Bunsen and Beaker that I just love so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle. Yeah, they were pretty cool.

      Delete
  2. Oh what great costumes over the years! Fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my goodness. Those were all kind of amazing so I'm a little sad there won't be costumes this year. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. way to keep that playboy picture hidden - never seen that before. But now it's online - so it's officially immortalized . . . lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right. the girls will either be like WOW or OMG.

      Delete
  5. I love them all as well but the Hugh & playmate #1 I really think when J gets his actually salt & pepper hair color he will rock it even better than HUGH & you are his perfect MATE!!! ~Janice~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janice. I agree. He's going to look hot with grey hair.

      Delete
  6. These are fantastic - thanks for all the great ideas....I seem to be drawn towards the American Gothic one.......perhaps because I had been contemplating going as a "portrait" (dress up fanccy, and carry a big picture frame to hold in front of my head and neck......

    On a totally different note - you have second shot at weddings before if I remember correctly - my oldest son just got engaged woo hoo and they are on the quest to find a photographer. If the person you second shot for does weddings (meaning they just didn't do it as a favor to someone they knew) would you be willing to send me their contact info or website? Thanks!

    lynne_foster@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Emily! I loved this post. Halloween is one of my favorite holidays and I love it when people just go and embrace dressing up! Great ideas on the couple costumes. I'm Jessie and I am a new follower. I've nominated you for a Liebster award. You can check it out @ http://jessieandconor.blogspot.com/2012/10/an-award.html.

    Jessie
    www.jessieandconor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessie, for the Liebster. I've been kinda MIA lately so I apologize. You have such a cute little family.Congrats on the girl

      Delete
  8. That's great!! I loved seeing your costumes throughout the years! We are taking this year off. It's kind of nice. But we already have in mind what we want to do for next year!

    Thanks for linking up at Romance on a dime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betsy. Just think of all the cute things you can do with your new baby next year.

      Delete
  9. I am Loving these!!!! What fun!! Oh you have just got to throw something together this year. This tradition just has to go on:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Evelyn. It didn't happen this year but don't you worry I'm sure we're not done.

      Delete
  10. I was browsing about Couples halloween costumes and I found your blog which is quite interesting. I do hope it's okay with you if I pin them on my Pinterest board. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day. I love responding to them. Please make sure you have your setting so that you see my reply. I always reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...