Monday, May 7, 2012

Beach Countdown Calender DIY

We finally made our plans for our vacation. We are going to Pensacola Beach, FL and will be staying right on the beach.It's been four years since I was last at the beach and that is four years to long.

Different beach but still awesome.....Treasure Island, FL back in 2007.

After I made the reservations and things were definite, we told K that we were going to the beach and showed her pictures. She's never been and this will be her first time to see the gulf/ocean. I'm so excited for her to see it for the first time. I can hardly stand it.  I can't decide if I should have J hold her inside while I run outside with the camera to capture those first shots as she sees the beach from our condo.And do I use the  still camera  or the video part to get the priceless audio? Hmm...decisions, decisions.

Now everyday since we told her, she wakes up or at some point during the day asks " Mom,are we going to the beach today?"  And when I say " No" ,she says" Are we going to the beach tomorrow?" To which I then say " No, in a few weeks"

At this point,  I started thinking we need a way to count down the beach that is very easy for her to understand and grasp.  I have a bag/bottles of sand/shells that I saved from every beach trip J and I have taken.



I like to save sand from beaches that I have been to. I know, weird. But looking at it makes me happy. It's actually right here on the computer desk. I have one from every place we have been and one that is waiting for this trip. All the sand actually has a different look to each place. It's kinda cool how that is.


I figured we could use that sand/shells in a hourglass kinda way. When we were at Walmart the other day (oh, I know...while we were there someone's car horn actually did the"Dixie" song....only at Walmart) I found this vase/hurricane that I liked ($2.99), I had a green paint pen from another project, and great blue ribbon that came on a present.


I measured and marked the days on the side with numbers in the lime green paint marker.


Then I  added the cool blue ribbon. What color is that anyway? I love it.  I used double sided tape so that if I ever needed to take it off , I could.





I also had some foam craft letter left from K's Valentine's Day  Box so I spelled the word "beach" on the top  of the ribbon.



I gave K a scoop,a bottle of sand ,and told her to fill it to the first line and then a bunch more.




Now every day she adds the sand and shells to the next line. She of course wants to keep filling but I told her she and S get to fill it every day until we leave and when it is full... it's time to hit the road.



At dinner the other day she asked:

" Mom, is it a long car ride?"
"Yes..it is long."
" We will have to bring books, and toys and snacks."
" Yes and dvds and maybe even take some naps so we get there even faster"
" Ok... I'll take a small nap for you."
" Thank You. That would be great."

I will have a downloadable packing list for you all very soon to use for all of your vacation fun this summer. Stay tuned!



Monday
What is the Gunny Sack -Making the world Cuter -Debbie Doo -DIY How Off
DIY Shop - Lines Across My Face -I should be mopping the Floor


Tuesday
How to Nest For Less - Tip Junkie - My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia -The Kurtz Corner
Sugar Bee - Romance On A Dime - Chronic Christian Crafter - Funky Polka Dot Giraffe
The Winthrop Chronicles


Wednesday
Oopsey Daisy - Thrifty Home - Someday Crafts


Thursday

My rePurposed Life - Beyond the Picket Fence - Somewhat Simple - Live Laugh Rowe

Loving this Crazy Life -Scrappy Crafty Happy - Fireflies and Jellybeans - The Shabby Cottage
Quality Cheap Home  - The Taylor House - House of Hepworths

Friday
Naptime CraftersStay At Home Nation
Young and Crafty



Saturday


Six Sister's Stuff


Sunday
Nifty Thrifty Things


Other Fun Blogs

54 comments:

  1. Visiting over from SITS and so glad I did because that's such a great idea for a beach countdown! My two boys LOVE the beach. It's so great watching them play in the sand and ocean and just marvel at it all. Can't wait to head to the beach this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine! I hope you guys have a great time too!

      Delete
  2. What a fun idea! We're counting down to our vacation back home in Hawaii. Looks like we'll both be enjoying some fun in the sun this summer!

    Stopping by from the SITS Spring Fling. So nice to meet you.

    liveandloveoutloud.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristi! Hawaii? Nice. That's on my bucket list for sure!

      Delete
  3. Newest Follower from the SITS Spring Fling :)
    What a cute craft idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Devon! Your son is just adorable. Following you back.

      Delete
  4. Super Cute! We are heading to the beach this summer! My kids would love this (and so would I because when they ask "How many more days?" I'll say "Look at the calendar countdown!" :)
    visiting from newbie party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nelly! I know , right? Now I have to tell her that she can only fill it up once a day LOL

      Delete
  5. What a great idea for a countdown to create. I also love the colorful dots! I think my little one would enjoy something life that ... thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa. The dots are my beach towel at got at Target last year. I figured it was appropriate, right?

      Delete
  6. This is such a good idea! Stopping by from Spring Fling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cute way to countdown to a great day on the beach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , Zobia or Zobot. Cute blog name.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks , Melanie! I love your little clay figures. They are so cute.

      Delete
  9. What a super fun way to count down! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow this turned out amazing! I'm a new follower and would love if you followed me back at www.iheartpears.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is such a fun and creative idea!! Beaches are wonderful!! Thanks for sharing this at Romance on a Dime!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for having me, Betsy! we are super excited about the vacation.

      Delete
  12. I love this, such a great idea. I hope you'll stop by and add this and any other posts you're proud of to my Wednesday What We Wore and Made Link party

    marissa
    http://raegunwear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marissa. I'd love to party with ya. See you there.

      Delete
  13. I love it! We have a beach vacation this summer and my kid would adore doing this. Pinning it!

    Jessica
    stayathomeista.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica. The girls really are having a blast filling it up everyday. I'm glad they think something so simple is so much fun. Ah... to be that young again. Thanks for Pinning

      Delete
  14. what an amazingly cute project----I simply love it!!! Thank you so much for the great idea!!!
    :o)
    Jaime from crafty scrappy happy

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun way to count down to a vacation! I'll have to devise one to mark the days until we go camping. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patricia. Hmm... A camping countdown? I wonder what you could do (scratch scratch on head)

      Delete
  16. What a great visual! It probably helps to keep your sanity as well=) Thanks for linking up today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! You would think but everyday is.." mom, can I pour more sand?" " no, honey. We've filled up to the line today." " But can I fill more sand?" sigh.

      Delete
  17. This is ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE!!! I love the idea! And, I love the idea of collecting sand and memorabilia from each "beach vacation"...my husband and I have done that as well :) Thanks for sharing and linking up with Toot Your Horn Tuesday. Hope you share and link up with us again,

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Erin! I'll be there. See you tomorrow

      Delete
  18. This is such a great idea - I love countdowns and this fun and clear!
    Rebecca @ heroncrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca. I love your key chains. I have a key chain problem...

      http://entirelyemily.blogspot.com/2012/03/key-chains-key-chains-and-key-chainsoh.html

      Delete
  19. I just love this story! What a great mom you are to help her with the countdown:) Thank you so much for linking this up to Freedom Fridays and so hoping to see you next week. (unless your hour glass is full,then I totally understand, priorities first)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , Evelyn. That is so sweet. I'll see you Friday!

      Delete
  20. This is a terrific idea! I wish I had known about it when my son was much younger! I discovered you on The Thrifty Home and I'm now following; I would appreciate it if you could follow back. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a great idea! So much fun and one I have not seen before! Thanks for sharing and I am a new follower!
    I hope you have a great week!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle. Following you right back.

      Delete
  22. What an awesome idea!!! Thanks for linking up to last weeks party! I have another one up and running today. Looking forward to seeing what you have to share.

    http://lovingthiscrazylife-melissa.blogspot.com/2012/05/welcome-to-katie-from-quality-cheap.html

    Hope you're having a great week!

    XO, Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You, Melissa. I'm totally there. Thanks for hosting.

      Delete
  23. This is such a fun idea!! Kids will absolutely love this! We loved having you link up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." Hope to see you back soon! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment and for hosting. And I can't to visit you guys again too.

      Delete
  24. That is a super-cool idea!
    You've made it brilliant.
    LOVE it!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Simoney! SO sweet! I'm following you.

      Delete
  25. This is a great idea! Oh & I love your sand memory bottles too! You are featured in this week's Stay At Home Nation Spotlight! Congrats! I think the beach countdown is a great way to keep the little ones involved & excited! I hope you will stop by & link up to My Favorite Things Friday Party this week too! I look forward to what you have to share!
    XoXo
    Iffy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea! Thanks, Iffy. It's so cool to be featured. And I have to say I like being able to say I know someone named Iffy.

      Delete
  26. This is such a cute idea! You're such a sweet mom to do this. Thank you for sharing this project with us at our Summer BBQ Bash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kirsten. That's sweet of you to say.

      Delete
  27. This is very clever and adorable! My daughter (5) gets her first trip to the beach this summer and I was looking for fun countdown calendar ideas! Love this one!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day. I love responding to them. Please make sure you have your setting so that you see my reply. I always reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...