Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Things I love about Saint Louis: The Wabash and Pacific Railroad

(This is the fifth in the Things I love about Saint Louis series. Click here to find out what else I love about the STL)


After we had kids and our kids started to like trains( like at the zoo), our friend Brian  introduced us to the Wabash and Pacific Railroad. It is a amazing little passenger, larger- than- life-scaled train  that operates out of Wildwood , MO . Wildwood is  about 45 minutes from downtown, 30 minutes from the suburbs where we live. There is a donation  asked of  $4 for everyone with kids 3 and younger being free. It's well worth how much fun the kids have.

J and girls headed to the train


It is nestled  on an old train bed/tracks next to the Meramec river. It shares space with a paved/gravel hiking/biking trail which is part of the Meramec Greenway project. You will see lots of bicyclist, walkers, and hikers as you ride the train.


 The train is about 3 foot tall  and  a little over 12" wide.(12 gauge... hey, I'm not a train person so it went right over my head the first time). It's basically wide enough for one adult and one kid to site next to each other. They have steam engines and electric. There's nothing like the steam blowing and the sound that it makes though.

Turning the engine around to attach to the train cars

The first train leaves out at 11:00am so we usually try to get there at 10:30 so we can be in line. This past visit we got there about 10:45 and by 11 the little waiting area was full and some folks were going to have to wait for the next one.  I believe they have 3-4 locomotives but I only saw 2 or 3 lines of train cars to ride in.
On this visit, we went with our friends:Scott, Laura , HG, and DG  from D.I.Y. Couple. Scott and J have been friends since high school. K loves HG and Scott. S , well,  she doesn't  really play with others yet. (maybe she's the quiet one)

K and HG waiting for  the train

The crew

This beautiful little train operation is ran solely by volunteers who seem to really love what they do and are so nice to the kids.  And it was so hot (triple digits)when we went that it makes what they do even more spectacular because they aren't being paid to endure that.


It's about a 2 mile ride(back and forth) through he woods, next to some bluffs and along the river until you get to the point where they have to stop and switch the engine from the front to the back of the train and then you just turn around in your seat and you are ready to go back.  The ride and the turnaround took about an hour but it seems to vary every time we go. We even had to wait for a bit while the electric train passed us.




The kids had a blast and of course as soon as it was over wanted to ride again but we got them to leave with the promises of lunch and a playground.  Since we had friends along, I got a good picture of the family and I don't look totally  yuck in it. I definitely recommend this one for  anyone, little or big.



Monday
What is the Gunny Sack -Making the world Cuter -Debbie Doo -DIY How Off
DIY Shop - Lines Across My Face -I should be mopping the Floor
Great Fun 4 Kids

Tuesday

How to Nest For Less - Tip Junkie - My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia -The Kurtz Corner
Sugar Bee - Romance On A Dime - Debbie Does Creations - Funky Polka Dot Giraffe
The Winthrop Chronicles


Wednesday
 Thrifty Home - Someday Crafts - Sew Much Ado
- Junk in Their Trunk  - Southern Lovely


Thursday

My rePurposed Life - Beyond the Picket Fence - Somewhat Simple - Live Laugh Rowe
Loving this Crazy Life - Fireflies and Jellybeans - The Shabby Cottage
The Taylor House- House of Hepworths-SNAP
Friday
Naptime CraftersStay At Home Nation
Young and CraftyMy Turn(ForUs)
Delicate Construction
Serenity Now
Here Comes the Sun

Saturday

Six Sister's Stuff
Be Different Act Normal
Cheerios and Lattes
Natasha in Oz -Say G'Day

Sunday
Nifty Thrifty Things





10 comments:

  1. That looks like a fun ride & a nice way to spend an afternoon. It's great that your kids love it too. Your photos are so pretty and the one of your family is very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute pictures and cute family! I am visiting from thee blog hop. I am a little late but wanted to drop by. I am a new follower! I blog over at http://garagesalesrus.blogspot.com/ I hope you will stop by and do the same. I also have an awesome giveaway going on right now with a Cricut Machine! i would love it if you would enter!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am following you also. I'd love a Cricut so I'm there.

      Delete
  3. I love how our husband is wearing a St. Lois T. So appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL... I know. If it's not a Cardinals shirt, it's usually a Blues shirt. It's a good thing the Rams aren't every good otherwise that would be in the mix too.

      Delete
  4. Adorable train, adorable family photo! We have a similar train here in the Bay Area, but it only runs at certain times. So far we haven't been able to make it work with Katie's nap. Someday soon! :) I added a follow widget to my blog, thanks so much for letting me know! I'm gonna figure out how to follow yours too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. I totally get the nap time thing. Both of mine still do. And I never want to give it up! I'm just glad I can read what you do next. I think we'll get along just fine, us introverts :)

      Delete
  5. What a totally fun day! I love this train but I especially love seeing the pics of you and your sweet adorable family. Thank you for sharing this great adventure at Freedom Fridays:)
    Have an amazing day!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day. I love responding to them. Please make sure you have your setting so that you see my reply. I always reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...