Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Wacky Cake (Copy Cat)


When  I saw Debbie over at Debbie Doos was having a copy cat party, I wanted to copy so many things that I sadly don't have the resources to do ( sigh).  But I happened ,just the other day, get an email feed  from Mal over at  The Chic Geek . She had just made this "Wacky Cake" from America's Test Kitchen .  It looked great and with ingredients that everyone usually has. And I did, woo hoo!

They are cooking through the decades and this cake happens to be from around the 1940s during the war when certain ingredients were rationed at different times. It contains no milk products ( yea for us lactose intolerant), no egg sand no nuts. They called it wacky because it was made without those ingredients and right in the baking pan.  I call that awesome cake because I only had one pan/bowl to clean after I was done.


Ingredients
Instructions

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat 8-inch-square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.

2. Whisk flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt together in pan.



 3.Make 1 large and 2 small craters in dry ingredients. Add oil to large crater and vinegar and vanilla separately to remaining small craters.

I used my measuring cups for the craters. They were already dirty, so why not?

4.Pour water into pan , and mix until just a few streaks of flour remain. Immediately put pan in oven.


 3. Bake until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, about 30 minutes. Cool in pan, then dust with confectioners’ sugar. (If tightly wrapped, cake will keep for 3 days at room temperature.)

Right out of the oven. The pan is not pretty but who cares.

Thanks for sharing, Mal.

 I will say it tasted great.  Next time I make it I might make some kind of icing because I have the world's biggest sweet tooth.  But my hubby even went back for seconds and if he doesn't have a sweet tooth, that's saying something.



Monday
What is the Gunny Sack -Making the world Cuter -Debbie Doo -DIY How Off
DIY Shop - Lines Across My Face -I should be mopping the Floor
Great Fun 4 Kids

Tuesday

How to Nest For Less - Tip Junkie - My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia -The Kurtz Corner
Sugar Bee - Romance On A Dime - Debbie Does Creations - Funky Polka Dot Giraffe
The Winthrop Chronicles


Wednesday
 Thrifty Home - Someday Crafts - Sew Much Ado
- Junk in Their Trunk  - Southern Lovely 
-SNAP

Thursday

My rePurposed Life - Beyond the Picket Fence - Somewhat Simple - Live Laugh Rowe
Loving this Crazy Life - Fireflies and Jellybeans - The Shabby Cottage
The Taylor House- House of Hepworths


Friday
Naptime CraftersStay At Home Nation
Young and CraftyMy Turn(ForUs)
Delicate Construction
Serenity Now
Here Comes the Sun

Saturday

Six Sister's Stuff
Be Different Act Normal
Cheerios and Lattes
Natasha in Oz -Say G'Day

Sunday
Nifty Thrifty Things




24 comments:

  1. Oh that looks so yummy! Great copycat, Emily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gina. Your collection was great as well.

      Delete
  2. Hmmm...looks interesting. I might have to actually try this! I like that it's lactose free.
    Rhiannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes...it was interesting but tastes pretty good.

      Delete
  3. This looks so good! Might have to give this a try very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good and I couldn't get over how easy it was to make.

      Delete
  4. I am definitely going to try this wacky recipe. Yours looks delicious, so quite a successful copycat, I'd say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You should, It's well worth it.

      Delete
  5. Very interesting - especially with the addition of vinegar - and that it doesn't have eggs. Is it really moist? I might have to try just to see :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought. And the first two days it was, after that... even covered...not so much.

      Delete
  6. :D Thanks for posting this recipe. It looks great!!!

    Linking from Debbiedoo's,
    xo,
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh...what a mouth watering copy cat this is!~ I could go for a piece right now. Thanks for sharing with the copy cat challenge party. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love how delicious this looks
    http://iheartpears.blogspot.com/2012/07/popular-chevron-crib-bedding.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. We used to make this cake when I was growing up and I forgot all about it. We called it Crazy Cake. It is extra good with icing! This is the one we used to make: 1 1/2 C Powdered Sugar, 2 T Cocoa, 1/4 t Salt, 3 T Soft Butter and 2 T Hot Strong Coffee ~ so good. I think I might have to make this today : ) !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooo... now that sounds like a good addition. And yep, it could have used a little something on the top.

      Delete
  10. Yummy! Stopping by from Freedom Friday hop and following.

    Debra
    Granny's Down Home Southern Cooking

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow...I love that there is no bowl to wash! I just pinned and tweeted this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marilyn. That was one of the best parts.

      Delete

Your comments make my day. I love responding to them. Please make sure you have your setting so that you see my reply. I always reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...