Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Olive Oil tasting at Olive Ovation

Back when I shot the Ladies Luncheon for my friend Jessica and Our Ladies Inn, I also bid on some silent auction items.  One of which was a Olive Oil tasting party at Olive Ovation. And I had the highest bid. Yippee!  It sounded like a good time.  I love olive oil,dipping things in it, and cooking with it so I knew I couldn't go wrong .

I was thinking about setting up the party when our friend Laura (from The DIY Couple) sent me an email asking if we wanted to go to a olive oil tasting party that she won at an auction. Craziness. So we talked and merged our parties together.

I called Marianne ,the owner, and she couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating to our situation.  Last Thursday, we finally got to go to the tasting and it did not disappoint.  The shop is located in  downtown Clayton, MO by the Ritz Carlton in a newer little shopping area.




She greeted us with an after hours tasting, dips and appetizers already set up. She also told us we could bring our own snacks and wine, which we totally did. BYOW :)  After everyone had arrived, we talked,munched, and walked around the store. The entire olive bar was ours to taste.  Yum-E!  I was in heaven . I love olives and I couldn't get enough.  They had a new olive called the Castelvetrano . It was a large green olive with a smooth but great taste.



After a bit of eating and drinking of some wine,  she began by telling us a bit about olives, how olive oil was made, and what made each one different/unique and what made each one good and even better.  Did you know olive oil can go bad? Did you know how long that takes? Not too long. A bunch of us looked at each other and said we needed to go home and check the dates on the bottles we had. Yikes!



Then she explained the olive oil tasting bar. She had olive oils from all over the world, some of the more exotic being from South Africa and Palestine. They were arranged from soft and mild to bold and almost spicy. Each tasting bottle had where the oils were from , the flavors you could expect and  what kind of wine would go best.





She explained how to taste the olive oil by using these little cups, pumping the bottle three times to get enough, smell it just like a wine,  then sipping the oil letting it roll around your tongue and then breathing in a little through your tongue to spread it around. The stronger oils would actually make your throat feel warm and make your cough because of the antioxidants in the oils.  I know what you're thinking.. crazy stuff . I had no idea that oil could do all of this.


They also had some amazing balsamic vinegars. I love almost anything with vinegar so I was sold before I even started tasting. Imagine the best vinegars and oils you've ever tried from the grocery store and throw that out the window. These were all way more flavorful and the quality was incredible.


 The store was filled with all kinds of different things to buy and try. They have local honey and local soaps made from soy.   The honey was so much more intense than what you can buy in the store and I was surprised by how different two local honeys can taste.


We ended up buying this olive oil and this vinegar. The vinegar has honey in it which makes it sweet but with that kick that I love. And the olive oil was so soft and buttery. It was actually easy to eat it plain, it was that good.


We have already used both of these with dinner and vegetables.  I loved  them drizzled on my salad as well. Their online site is great if you need a gift for the foodie in your life.  Or if you live in Saint Louis, I highly recommend a trip over there to see Marianne. You can sample some of the oils, vinegars, and  honeys any time you come in. She'll help you pick out the best one for you.

( I was in no way compensated for this post. The stuff was just that good and I wanted to share. The opinions are all my own)

11 comments:

  1. Looks like a wonderful time! I would love to go to a party like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try to find one close to your house. It's worth it.

      Delete
  2. I would have gone crazy in that store! Looks delicious! My friend (from Greece) said that her family would treat ear infections with warm olive oil. Crazy, right? But, I guess it worked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what? I've heard that too. I just couldn't bring myself to do it with my kids. Had it been my own ear, yes. When's your bday? I'll send ya some.

      Delete
  3. I have been there! What an awesome place. Hey, this is off topic, but do you happen to know the name of the little boutique a block or two down the street that sells cute handmade goods? I've been wanting to look for a few of their vendors online

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm... come to think of it, the olive place I've been to (with the next door craft boutique) was in the old downtown area of St Charles. But it looks like a very similar place. What a fun party with your friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL... I was going to say.. I don't think there was a handmade goods place. St.Charles mains street is pretty awesome.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the post and shout out -- it was a fun night. We used a lot of what we got this weekend. Looking forward to using it again tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. We did too and it was just as good if not better at home!

      Delete
  6. Sold! I would love to take my parents at Christmas- do you know any details- would she do this for a small group? Cost? If not I'm sure I can google it! Thanks for a great idea for the worlds most difficult people to buy gifts for.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day. I love responding to them. Please make sure you have your setting so that you see my reply. I always reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...