Wednesday, September 12, 2012

What parts of me will they get?

My cute little monsters

When you are pregnant with your children, you kinda wonder what they will look like and kinda wonder what they will act like. Will they laugh at fart jokes? Cry when you yell too loud? Then you start watching your tiny  babies grow and change and become their own tiny little person with their own tiny little personality. As they get older and older you start to see THEM. The person they are going to be. Sometimes you see yourself in them , sometimes you see your spouse. Sometimes you smile. Sometimes you cringe.

I started thinking what parts of me  I would want them to get and what parts of me  I  SO don't  want them to get....

What I hope they DO get


I hope they both love to read.


They both already seem to love books as much as do.  I hope in continues through their lives and  makes school that much more enjoyable to them.  I remember my sister and brother hating book reports and other school stuff  because they disliked reading.





I hope they both love animals to a fault.

I can't imagine my life without the amazing dogs that have been in it.  I love riding horses and  will pet  a cat whenever I have the chance.  I want them to always be kind to animals. They need our help as much as we need theirs. Maybe they'll even volunteer with them someday.
Charlie and K 2009

I hope they are artistic.

It's so much fun to create and even if they are not the next Picasso....i want them to feel comfortable with whatever they do. Just because it doesn't look like someone else's doesn't mean it is bad.



I hope they can just BE.

Sometimes it just feels good to be by yourself and do what you want to do.  That may be the introvert in me talking but you  need to learn to be and do things by yourself and be ok with that.

S collecting her "treasures".....seed pods from the trees

I hope they love to document their lives

Whether it is photo albums, video, journals, or  family tree stuff... I love to remember what I've done and how I felt about it. It's so comforting and grounding to me.  I love that my mom did it for us and now I'm doing it for them.  Maybe they'll do it for their kids too.

Hold still, S..... with K in 2011


I hope they'll be choosy about their friends


Friends are so important in our lives. It's been hard for me to accept that quality is better than quanity as I've gotten older. They don't have to settle when it comes to friends.

I hope they love to sing


Nothing makes me happier than singing in the car. Music just sends me to a better place. I hope they always love to sing and it beings them as much joy as it brings me.

What I hope they DON'T get



I hope they talk more than me


It's hard to make friends and feel like you fit in school if you're too shy or scared to talk. I want them to feel free to speak their minds ( as long as they have nice things to say)

I hope they have a thicker skin

I hate when people pick on me even if their joking. I never think it's funny and sometimes I wonder if life would be easier on me if I did.

I hope they can let some things go.

Sometimes I'm so hurt that i can't move past it and it has, I'm sure, put up walls in my life. I'm not saying they should let people walk all over or hurt them. I'm saying that once it is over, I hope they can either forgive and move on or just forget about the person all together.

I hope they like to play sports or at least like to watch them.

I was horrible at sports as a child and still am. Again, it made school miserable and made me feel left out.  If I had played or at least gone to games, maybe it would have helped. I kinda watch our home town teams now but  I'm no super fan.

I hope they don't get my crappy immune system.
If someone sneezes in Ohio and there's a westerly wind, I'm sick the next day. Where as their dad never seems to get sick. But I will say that  I'll take a million small colds over a horrible, life threatening illness any day.

I hope they only see the good/ positive side of things (at least most of the time)


I feel like it's an inherited trait in my family. Sometimes I feel like I'll never be able to break the cycle of negativity and I sure as heck don't want them to be that way. Again, I want life to be easier for them than it was for me, emotionally.

I hope they are not so scared or so unsure that they don't follow their dreams

Everyone has dreams or things they think they might want to do or be. Just because someone else doesn't think it's a good idea,  doesn't mean they should do it.  They should do things for themselves. not for other people . Not even for me and their dad. It's their lives and their dreams. Please go live them.


What is your top thing you hope your kids get from you and the top thing you hope they NEVER get from you?

Monday
What is the Gunny Sack -Making the world Cuter -Debbie Doo -DIY Show Off
DIY Shop - Lines Across My Face -I should be mopping the Floor
Great Fun 4 Kids

Tuesday

How to Nest For Less - Tip Junkie - My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia -The Kurtz Corner
Sugar Bee - Romance On A Dime - Debbie Does Creations - Funky Polka Dot Giraffe
The Winthrop Chronicles

Wednesday
 Thrifty Home - Someday Crafts - Sew Much Ado
- Junk in Their Trunk  - Southern Lovely 
-SNAP

Thursday

 Beyond the Picket Fence - Somewhat Simple - Live Laugh Rowe
Loving this Crazy Life - The Shabby Cottage
The Taylor House- House of Hepworths 
Two In Diapers-Mommy Brain Mixer


Friday
Naptime CraftersStay At Home Nation
Young and CraftyMy Turn(ForUs)
Delicate Construction
Serenity Now
Here Comes the Sun

Saturday


Six Sister's Stuff
Polkadot Pretties
Cheerios and Lattes
Natasha in Oz -Say G'Day


45 comments:

  1. I love this post!! I laugh when I see my daughter doing things like me and get a little worried when I realize something about her that's annoying me (like being shy around family) is something I used to do and try to cut her more slack.

    p.s I'm following you from the mommy brain mixer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Grace! Sometimes you love those things and sometimes you're like..akk!

      Delete
  2. This is a great post (and I swear I'm not just writing that). Minus the "I hope they talk more", because honestly, I hope they talk LESS than me, I feel like I could've written it. Following along from the mommy brain mixer. :)
    -Myndee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a new reader following you from the mixer! I think it is funny when I see my 4 year old talking and using the same mannerisms as me. They really can be little mini me's. I just hope she doesn't pick up all my bad habits too...

    -MC @ momcatdiaries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen on the bad habits thing. But I can already see me doing the things that my mom does that annoy me. Oh well

      Delete
  4. Love this so much. I think i may steal your idea - i often think about what they will be like when they grow up and i really hope they DON'T get my awful humour/sarcasm side as its got me into trouble too many times!! Oops!
    I am a new follower from the Mommy-Brain Mixer, looking forward to reading more of your posts! I am in the middle of re-vamping my blog but i am from - http://mummyrawles.blogspot.co.uk/ Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great list. I am an "over-analyzer"...one of my girls is the same....the other analyzes nothing--she jumps into anything and everything full speed ahead. Genetics.. :) I'm following from thr Mommy Brain Mixer. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it freaky what they get? Glad to have you, Angela.

      Delete
  6. Definitely agree with this! As my daughter starts to grow, I see bits and pieces of myself and my husband in her but also this unique little personality all her own. She is extremely talkative, outgoing (once she knows people), musical and sporty - all her daddy. Yet she's like me in many ways too. I love that she's a balance and hope that continues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. I always hope they have the best of both of us or that the bad stuff cancels each other out.

      Delete
  7. Love this post!! I definitely have a list similar to this! I'm a new follower from the Mommy Brain Mixer link-up! Hope you can stop by!
    ~Brittany
    thedennybuzz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm new from the Mommy Brain-Mixer link-up, and I love this post! I've had passing thoughts about what I'd like to/not like to pass on, but have never spelled it all out before. Neat to think about and sounds like you have some really great things to pass on. Will now be following along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meredith. It's kinda fun to think about.

      Delete
  9. I found you from the mixer, look forward to reading your blog! And everything you wrote that you hope your kids do not get from you, exactly what I would have said myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! Love your post! I'm your newest follower from the Mommy Brain Mixer! I look forward to connecting with you!

    Christie
    http://satisfactionthroughchrist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love that first photo! Great post. Newest follower! Nice to meet you.

    www.laurenrebecca.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. New follower from the mommy brain mixer! I love this post. So true
    Hailey
    http://www.lovelaughterandlipstick.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love what you said about hoping that they follow their dreams and aren't unsure about doing that. I have that same wish for my daughter :)

    I'm following from the Mommy Brain Mixer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should all be wishing that for our kids. Thanks, Mackenzie.

      Delete
  14. I love what you said about wanting your kids to follow their dreams and not be afraid to do so. I want the same for my daughter.

    Following from the Mommy Brain Mixer!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mackenzie. I hope we all feel that way.

      Delete
  15. Great post! Love the part about loving animals! I hope the same for my girl! Thanks for so-hosting the hop! I am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah. Great to meet you. Following you back.

      Delete
  16. I'm also a new follower from the mommy brain mixer. :) Looking forward to reading more! I too have thought about these things for my children (it's especially interesting to see what kind of personality traits my daughters have gotten from me since one daughter totally looks like her dad and one looks uncannily like me as a little girl, haha!). Have a great day.
    -Rachael from The Rehomesteaders
    http://therehomesteaders.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to have you, Rachel. It's going to be fun to see for a long time to come.

      Delete
  17. This was so amazing !! You have documented a great memory for yourself but mostly them and it will be great to look back on and see how many things did and didn't inherit. You have adorable girls and they have one special mama :]
    guidance, love, and examples I think they have that wish list covered by what you have shown them already!!! happy day Emily :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janice. I never thought of the memory aspect of it but that is kinda cool.

      Delete
  18. This is such a great post! I hope you keep it and show them one day :)
    Found you from the mixer and will follow. Hope you have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I remember to as well.Glad to have you, Desirae

      Delete
  19. This is a super sweet post. Both my kids have looked like my husband for the larger part of their young lives. I can already see some of my loves {and maybe a few not so great things} developing in my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is great! I am pregnant with our first and I wonder these things all the time, not just in regards to what she will look like, but what personality traits will she inherit from me? Following along from the Mommy Brain Mixer! Thanks for co-hosting!

    http://the-life-of-faith.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw...congrats. Have fun being a new mommy. It's the best.

      Delete
  21. I love this, and those lists make me feel like we must have a lot in common.

    I hope my children will always be true to themselves, and I hope they play more and worry less than I ever did/do.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Emily! Following you through the Mommy Brain Mixer, and I can't tell you how much I enjoyed reading this post. You have such an amazing list, and you and I seem to have a lot in common in our qualities :) This definitely made me think about what I would love for my child to inherit from me. I think the biggest thing I'd love for her to get is my courage to stand for what I believe in & what I know is right and good. And there are plenty of things I'm sure I don't want her to get, one of the biggest ones being the temper I can have!

    Love your blog! Look forward to reading more!
    And by the way...your kiddos are absolutely adorable. These are beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be great if we really got to pick what they got and didn't ? Life would be awesome then.

      Delete
  23. Wow - this post could almost entirely be about me! Seriously... wow. I love your point about documenting their lives - when I became pregnant with my first daughter, I started a journal for her that I intend to keep until she is an adult. It has stuff from when I was pregnant and quirky little things she's done as a toddler. I hope I will keep it up - I know I'll miss a lot of things, but she should hopefully still have a book full of random little memories of her from me by the time I give it to her. Documenting is so important!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw.. I wish I would have done than with both of my girls. I know I have already forgotten so much. Keep up with it! They will thank you later.

      Delete
  24. Wow - this post could seriously be about me!
    I love the 'documenting life' comment - when I was pregnant with my first, I started a journal for her that I hope to give her - full - when she's an adult or teenager. Just a collection of memories of her from me.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day. I love responding to them. Please make sure you have your setting so that you see my reply. I always reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...