Wednesday, August 8, 2012

My adventures of second shooting at a wedding


 Last October, I was lucky enough to be asked to second shoot at a wedding. I was excited and nervous as hell that I would have nothing but crappy photos. Mark, the friend who asked me, had shot some weddings before and  really knew what he was doing.  He is very knowledgeable about all aspects of photography and how to use it to his advantage.

I feel like  I have some vision but some of the technical stuff is still  lost on me. I learned a ton doing this. I did shoot manual the entire time with RAW and JPEGS so I could  manipulate images later. I don't really have any formula or anything , just watching my ISO, shutter speed and aperture depending on the situation. I also primarily shot with my 28-70mm zoom.  I love that lens.  I use almost all of the time whenever I'm just even taking pictures around my house.

I met him at the wedding site at Jefferson Barracks Park ( yes, the national cemetery is in the same park )  There was this great outdoor space called , that I had never heard of or been to, that the families of the bride and groom  had set  up with chairs and an arbor.



Mark  was the primary photographer so he was front and center with the procession, the ceremony, and all of the important shots.  It was my job to take the side shots and anything else that caught my eye. it was nice to not have all of the pressure:)

We took some pictures of the site and then waited for the bridal party to start showing up.  They were such a cute couple and so easy going. They let us tell them what to do 99% of the time. The didn't have a list of shots and they were happy to try anything we suggested.









Then after the ceremony, we took the group shots that they requested. It was again my job to make sure no had silly faces, or messy hair or  in one case a cell phone in a pocket that I could see in the photos. Whoops!



Aren't the boots awesome?


The flower girl was the niece of the bride  and she was so cute and photogenic.



One of my favorite pictures of the day


After the more formal pictures,  we walked around and took some more pictures of the wedding party. All of these were taken less than 100 feet from the ceremony site.  It was a great location.






We did go down the road to another great location that had more trees with even more color.





The reception was very intimate, had a great dance floor, and just enough room.   I learned lot  about indoor photography with my flash. But there's always room to learn more. Indoor, night time photography is definitely not something I'm 100% with yet.


Like I said before, this wedding seemed easy because they were both so cute and the nicest most easy going people I have ever had to photograph yet. They have spoiled me I'm sure. I can't wait to do this again!

Monday
What is the Gunny Sack -Making the world Cuter -Debbie Doo -DIY How Off
DIY Shop - Lines Across My Face -I should be mopping the Floor
Great Fun 4 Kids

Tuesday

How to Nest For Less - Tip Junkie - My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia -The Kurtz Corner
Sugar Bee - Romance On A Dime - Debbie Does Creations - Funky Polka Dot Giraffe
The Winthrop Chronicles

Wednesday
 Thrifty Home - Someday Crafts - Sew Much Ado
- Junk in Their Trunk  - Southern Lovely 
-SNAP

Thursday

My rePurposed Life - Beyond the Picket Fence - Somewhat Simple - Live Laugh Rowe
Loving this Crazy Life - Fireflies and Jellybeans - The Shabby Cottage
The Taylor House- House of Hepworths

Friday
Naptime CraftersStay At Home Nation
Young and CraftyMy Turn(ForUs)
Delicate Construction
Serenity Now
Here Comes the Sun

Saturday


Six Sister's Stuff
Be Different Act Normal
Cheerios and Lattes
Natasha in Oz -Say G'Day



20 comments:

  1. I think you did an awesome job!!! Her colors were fabulous!! I think you might have a calling??? For more jobs :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos are wonderful - I am definitely in learning mode with my new camera, so these gave me some great ideas. I help out with weddings at our church (unlock and lock up, set up candles, pin on flowers, gather up stuff that the bride and her attendants leave in the dressing room and take it upstairs after the wedding is over, give the folks their cues to start going down the aisle, etc....)and of course they always have their own photographer there, but it is fun to try to take a few shots of my own, especially if I know the couple.

    And......shout out to you - as apparently we are "neighbors". I live in South City.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynne. You should totally get those shots in if you can. Southside? Cool! I grew up there.

      Delete
  3. Great pictures! We had 2 photographers at our wedding and I loved it. I feel like we got a complete picture of everything that was going on because we got to see it through two different lenses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shannah. I wish we had hired two photographers. Our pictures were awesome but they could have been even cooler.

      Delete
  4. Great job, Emily! What a fun thing to do. I love the fun candids. What type of camera and lenses did you use?
    Rhiannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rhiannon. I have a Canon 60D and usually use my 28-70mm lens.

      Delete
  5. Great work! I love the pictures, adn it's nice to just be there as an extra set of hands/pics, without all the pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to see how Molly's birthday pics come out!!! You definatly have a talent!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww. thanks. I really hope you like them.

      Delete
  7. What stunning photos. You are talented indeed.
    I'm a new follwer from Debbiedo's. We'd love to see you over at our linkies in the future :)

    http://meltingmoments.info/?cat=75

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm waiting for my wedding photos and can only hope they are as nice as the ones you shot. They're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks, Al. I hope they are everything you want them to be. I was not at all disappointed in mine.

      Delete
  9. So fun! I love all the photos you shot. Nice job! I'm glad you linked up at Romance on a dime's TIOT party!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Betsy. I love linking up with you every week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely wedding - and great shots emily!
    x

    (love the colours - and the cowboy boots!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Simoney. I loved those boots too. I was thinking, why didn't I think of that six years ago?

      Delete

Your comments make my day. I love responding to them. Please make sure you have your setting so that you see my reply. I always reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...